Before your surgery
The Nashua Ambulatory Surgical Center wants to make your experience as pleasant as possible. This information will answer many of the questions you may have about your surgery. Please review this information carefully.
Prior to the day of Surgery:
The following instructions are very important and MUST be followed, otherwise it may be necessary to cancel your surgery.
The day before your procedure:
Please follow these guidelines on the day of your surgery:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery, including water, juice, coffee, chewing gum or mints, unless instructed otherwise by the surgical center pre-operative nurse.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages or take recreational drugs 48 hours prior to surgery.
- Smoking may cause problems with anesthesia. It is highly recommended you do not smoke the evening prior to surgery.
- Do not take aspirin, aspirin products, Vitamin E, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Advil or any herb or garlic supplement for one week prior to your surgery, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you take Coumadin, Plavix or other blood thinners.
- Notify your doctor and the surgical center staff if you have an insulin pump, internal or external device such as a pacemaker or defibrillator.
- Notify your doctor and the surgical center staff IMMEDIATELY if you suspect you are pregnant.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from the Surgical Center if you are undergoing anesthesia.
- Remove all nail polish and body piercings. If having hand, arm, leg or foot surgery, all jewelry must be removed. If unable to remove jewelry, *please consider visiting a jeweler for removal. Otherwise, jewelry may need to be cut off on the day of surgery, which may result in damage to your jewelry.
- Gather required information needed for the day of surgery, including insurance cards, legal documents (such as Power of Attorney or Guardianship documents), completed registration forms and any other information your doctor has asked you to bring to the surgical center.
- Make a list of all of the medications you take, including dosages and frequency. You must bring this list with you.
- If you do not feel well on the day of your surgery, please call your doctor’s office, as well as the surgical center at (603) 882-0950, to determine whether your surgery may be cancelled.
- If you need to cancel your surgery, please call your doctor’s office, as well the surgical center at (603) 882-0950. If after hours, kindly leave a message with the surgical center answering service.
- Medications should be taken as instructed by the surgical center pre-operative nurse.
- Bring your medication list, including dosages and frequency, with you. Also bring a list of all supplements, herbal preparations and vitamin that you take.
- Please bring any medication you are unsure of, or did not discuss with the pre-operative nurse.
- Bathe or shower the night before or morning of surgery to minimize risk of infection. Please do not use makeup, fragrance, hairspray, nail polish or deodorant. Remove all nail polish.
- You may brush your teeth and gargle, but do not swallow.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing. Garments should be able to accommodate a bulky dressing and tender surgical sites. Patients undergoing head, neck or shoulder surgery should wear a large, oversized, buttoned-down shirt.
- If you are going to be using crutches, please wear a closed back shoe (no sandals, clogs or heels).
- Please leave jewelry and other valuables at home. While we make best efforts to protect your belongings, they are best secured by leaving them at home. The surgical center will not be responsible for lost items.
- Do not wear contact lenses, or bring a case and solution for storing.
- If you use inhalers, bring them.
• Please refrain from smoking the day of surgery.
• If you normally use equipment or device for support or assistance, such as a walker or crutches, please bring them with you.
• Please leave your home in plenty of time to arrive at the time specified during your pre-operative call. If you are going to be late, kindly call
the surgical center at (603) 882-0950.
• If you are undergoing anesthesia (other than local anesthesia), a responsible adult must drive you to and from the surgical center. We also
suggest that you have a responsible party with you for 24 hours following your procedure.
• If you are undergoing anesthesia (other than local anesthesia), and have children, please consider making childcare arrangements for the first
24 hours following your surgery, as you may be incapacitated and/or drowsy.
• You will have an opportunity to speak with your doctor and the anesthesiologist prior to surgery. Please be prepared to ask any questions you
• Please bring your insurance cards and information.